Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A New View

Tuesday means a visit to the perinatologist and progesterone shot.

This Tuesday was different in a couple of different aspects.

1)We (my mom and I) brought the boys along for the appointment. You would think after 9 weeks of being dependent on other people for nearly everything I wouldn't mind asking for help. I can't drive myself to the appointments because I have lay down in the car, and well, I never learned to drive gangsta style. Another reason is because I need someone there to push me in my stylin wheelchair. I'm doing better at manuevering myself with my wheels, but it's a lot easier to get through doors with assistance. Anyhow, I didn't want to bother anyone with driving me and I figured the boys would be just fine in tow.

2)I didn't get my usual exam room #3. That is the posh room with it's own bathroom. I've been spoiled the last few weeks and I didn't realize how nice it was until I didn't get that room today. That should have been my first warning that things weren't going to go as I had hoped.

3)Dr. B has always been very non-emotional when it comes to reading my ultra-sounds. Even when the cervical length dropped to 5mm, he was very matter of fact, told me to continue to stay down, but didn't fill me with dread. Today the ultra-sound took longer than it usually does and he stayed pretty quiet during the entire thing. When he finished, he sat back in his chair, folded his arms, and with a super somber expression tried his best to explain what was going on. This is the point where you would expect me to explain to you what is going on, but really I have no idea. What I do know is that it wasn't good. He called Dr. L, my OB, and together they decided that the best thing for me and this baby would be to take up a new place of residence.
I didn't put up a fight. I suspected this day would come eventually, and at least now I can sleep (hopefully) without worrying about whether or not the pressure/pain I am feeling at the moment warrants a trip to Labor and Delivery.

4)I didn't go home. In fact, I won't be going home any time soon. Jaxon started sobbing when they wheeled me out to the waiting room to tell them I would be staying in the hospital. He is so tender-hearted. This whole ordeal has been tough, but in no time at all it will all be a memory. Ryker just ran to the door yelling "Bye Mom!" After all, he had his Ninja Turtles :) Brian was already here doing surgery so he stopped in between cases and brought me goodies from the doctor's lounge. He also brought me the laptop and the final season of Gilmore Girls tonight, so at least I can stay connected to all the truly important things, right? Dr. B said that if baby girl flips around so she is head down he would send me home. She hasn't changed positions (except for the fact that both feet are way down where they shouldn't be) in the last 9 weeks. Dr. L, however, told my nurse that I would be here until I deliver. So, we're hoping to be here at least another 6 weeks...

I was in my first room for about 30 minutes. It was the "bring your own chair" room. Apparently they were short on rooms. Soon they found my current room...complete with a sofa, two chairs, and rocking chair, oh, and of course my bed and a slue of other gadgets. I have a great view of the trees on the south side of the hospital. It really is pretty. Unfortunately, as soon as one of the long term rooms become available I will be moved in there. They say the beds are softer, but the rooms are smaller.

So, here I am in my new home away from home, really missing my home and the people that go with it. Missing it, but determined to make the best of it. It's not terminal, it's temporary.

4 comments:

Melisa said...

Oh girl, I'm sorry. But Your tough and if you have the Gilmore Girls you can make it through anything.

Dismalland said...

Just a note to wish you the best. If you have made it to the six week countdown, things are looking up already, right?
So funny about Gilmore Girls. It's a great show to check your mind out of reality.

Natasha said...

Please call if there is anything we can do to help. My prayers are with you! Hang in there.

Sarahlou said...

You have such a great attitude. I don't know how I would handle it. We're thinking of you. Keep us updated!