Monday, May 9, 2011

What's Up Doc?

Since being admitted last Tuesday I've had some time on my hands to do a little research on my current situation. My doc actually drew me a picture explaining things last week, but without the ability to scan the pic and my inability to adequately explain the picture in words, I had to wait until I found something I could use.

"T represents closed cervix uneffaced. As progressive effacement takes place, the internal os becomes as Y and then V formation occur. As the cervix opens, and membranes are exposed through the internal os into vagina, a character “U” appears." http://www.thebiomedicapk.com/articles/133.pdf
http://www.sonoworld.com/fetus/page.aspx?id=274

I am the U picture....but instead picture two little feet at the bottom. The cerclage is a circular stitch that is holding the cervix closed....much like if you tied a knot in a balloon. So, I'm not dilated, because the stitch is still intact, but I am much more open, as you can see in the picture. The complications with being a U is stated below:

"Rust and colleagues worked on shortened cervix, and they concluded that funnelling as “U” shape of the internal os is a significant risk factor for adverse perinatal outcome, including preterm birth, chorioamnionitis, rupture of membrane and serious neonatal morbidity." http://www.thebiomedicapk.com/articles/133.pdf

For me the biggest risks are preterm birth, rupture of membrane, and because she is footling breech, a prolapsed cord if my water does break. I don't know what chorioamnionitis is. At 30 weeks there is a very low risk of neonatal morbidity. Still a very long stay in the NICU, but few long term complications. Still, we are hoping for at least 6 more weeks...10 weeks till my due date, but I'll take what I can get!

Tomorrow I get to leave my room (yea!) and go see the perinatologist down the hall. They will do another ultrasound and decide whether or not I need to continue bed rest in the hospital or if I can go home and continue bed rest there. If she turns there is a better chance of me being sent home because even if my water breaks, her head will stop the cord from prolapsing, which is the greatest danger at this point. From what I can tell, I don't think she's turned...but the day is still young :)

Tonight I plan on doing some non baby updates and tomorrow I will update on whether or not room 504 will continue to be my home...I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not giving up hope either!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh the things I take for granted!
Hang in there Natalie.