Monday, February 4, 2008

Fishy Face

Fishy Face
a.k.a. nebulizer treatment

Jaxon came down with croup last night. It scared me out of my mind! I was so worried that he was going to stop breathing. He would be completely asleep (wheezing, but asleep) then start gasping for air as he tried desperately to cough. I've always just relied on Brian to tell me what to do when Jaxon has been sick. With Brian in Denver (and working 3-midnight last night), I left him a message of Jaxon coughing and trying to talk in the phone. When Brian got off his shift he returned the call and put my crazy, freaked out mind to ease.

Our night from 12:35 a.m. - 4 a.m. consisted of the following:


  • 1 nebulizer treatment of Xopenex.....did not work (guess it really is just for asthma)

  • 1 nebulizer treatment of ice chips....worked like a charm (when we finished, Jaxon was jumping up and down on my bed yelling "Fishy Face made me aaaaaall better!"...at 3:27 a.m.!)

  • 1 humidifier of ice water....didn't do much

  • 2 phone calls to Wee Care Pediactics (2 a.m. and 3:43 a.m....one for advice, the other to schedule an appointment)

  • 5 phone calls to Brian

  • lots of hugs, snuggles, tears, and silent prayers

The doctor said it should only last another 3 nights, but we have meds now so hopefully tonight will go much smoother.

One more thing: the PA we saw this morning is also our primary chorister. When he walked in to the exam room this morning, Jaxon said "Is this Primary?!" Well, no. But he did offer to sing some songs with him!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I can't believe all that you went through! I am scared out of my mind now for Cameron to get croup. How did you hear Jaxon wheezing in his sleep? Was he in bed with you? I panic that I won't hear Cameron cause he isn't in our room! How did you know what to do!! p.s. I hope things are going well other than that since Brian is gone. IS he doing well?