We stay in a tent most years. However, this year was a little different. With Ryker being so little Scott and Anne offered to let us stay in the trailer....us being Ryker and me. Anne, Becky, Ryker, and I stayed in the trailer while Scott, Brady, Brian, and Jaxon stayed in the tent. (Thanks again Scott and Brady for sacrificing your comfort for the small child!)
I was really nervous about how Ryker would sleep. I am always so nervous when I sleep with a baby. For one, I am not a very still sleeper (just ask Brian or any one of my family members). So when they are with me I usually don't sleep because I am so afraid of falling in to a deep sleep and rolling over them. The other concern was Ryker sleeping period. Turns out I should have only been afraid of giant ultra-creepy bugs.
Sometime in the middle of the first night I was up feeding Ryker. What I thought was a moth flew past my head and into the curtains next to the bed. Not being overly afraid of moths, I didn't pay much attention to it and eventually laid back down to go to sleep. I could hear what I thought was the moth beating it's wings (should have been my first clue) against the window. I began to feel a little concerned that this "moth" would bother Ryker. It was only a few short moments later that Ryker began squirming in bed. As I reached over to rub his head I felt something HUGE and HARD on his head. I swatted it away and flipped on the light. It was the most disgusting bug (biggest too) I had ever seen in my life. I snatched the fly swatter and went total kamikaze on this thing. The adrenaline was so intense. It was then that I understood the superhuman strength parents get when their children are in danger. I could have lifted the trailer off my baby that night if I had to.
I thought that I had killed the gross insect, so imagine my concern the next morning when the bug was not where I left it. In the night it had crawled back on to the rug. Eeeww!! Scott came in shortly after, agreed that the bug was huge and disgusting, and heroically removed it from the trailer. HOURS later it came to our attention that it was still alive.....injured, but alive. I'm not one for animal cruelty, but something had to be done. Brian finally finished it off with a bb gun. Yes, we had to shoot it to kill it. I hope to never encounter such a bug for the rest of my life.
3 comments:
That bug is so yucky! It makes me shiver to think of it crawling on Ryker's head.
Sounds like you guys had fun! Camping with kids is tons of work though. It's more work than vacation I think. But the memories are worth it.
I also had a nasy encounter with a june bug this past week at work! But not quite as nasty as poor Ryker's experience, good thing he doesn't really get it yet! Ps, i love the pic of Ryker in the last post!
Ahhh those are the worst bugs ever I HATE HATE HATE them soooooo much, poor little Ryker it just gives me the creeps.
Post a Comment