Saturday, June 28, 2008

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

...get my boys to sleep all night!
I've been dealing with a bit of guilt. You see, we have found that Ryker will sleep soundly if placed on his stomach, like 7 hours....and will sleep for maybe 30 minutes if he's on his back. So we have to ask ourselves, sleep or no sleep? That is the ultimate question.
Although all the pediatricians and scientific medical masterminds everywhere are saying that babies must be placed on their backs to sleep, we have decided that since a) Ryker can lift his head and move from one side to the other, and b) he will actually sleep, we now put him to sleep on his stomach...all the time. And yes, I still wake up multiple times in the night to make sure he is okay....and he has been, every time. Besides that, Brian and I, and about everyone else older than 12, was put to sleep on our stomachs and survived. So I feel a little bit better. Jaxon continues to baffle us. He has no problem falling asleep. Period. Bed, couch, shopping carts, the car, at the table, at basketball games....you name it he can sleep there. What's the problem, you ask? Staying asleep. It is a rare moment that Jaxon will stay in his bed the entire night. He doesn't need anything from us besides company. He simply gets out of his bed and walks into our room and crawls into bed. In fact, most mornings we don't even know he is there until we wake up and see him. So besides locking him in his room (which I could never do. Imagine if there was a fire or something? Oh, I can't imagine how terrifying he would feel knowing he was trapped!), I don't have any answers. And from the books I have read, neither do the so-called experts. So I ask you, my faithful readers, who have children of your own or have at least been a child at one time in your life, any suggestions on how to give my boy a good nights sleep?

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I know the feeling! Both of my boys are up at least once a night and getting into our bed. I don't know what the deal is.

Ruth said...

No advice from me. We're dealing with the same thing. At least we know we're not alone, right? :)

Michelle said...

Super Nanny has a pretty good strategy. A nightmare at first (or so it appears) which is probably why a lot of parents just continue to sleep with their kids, but after a few days they seem to make big progress. Just be consistent. My sister likes to remind me that if you start something and don't stick to it with kids then all of those first miserable hours, or nights, will have been for nothing.