Monday, April 28, 2008

Ryker's Story

On Monday, April 21st, we went in for our 37 week appointment. When the doctor checked me he said I was dialated to a 4 and almost completely effaced. He could feel Ryker's feet. The doctor was worried that Ryker would give one big kick and break the bags of water. There could be major complications if this happened and we weren't near the hospital. The doctor said that he would rather do the c-section sooner than later. Neither Brian or I were thinking that the sooner was in a few hours and the later was the next morning. We had time to come home and pack a few bags (for mom, dad, and Jaxon), call Grandma Anderson to watch Jaxon, call Grandma and Grandpa Vincent and let them know what was going on, do one load of laundry, and get back to the hospital by 4:30.

Brian was really concerned about having a premature baby. I was pretty much just freaking out inside my head (and outside as well for that matter). Prior to leaving for the hospital, Brian gave me a blessing. It was a wonderful blessing and the spirit immediately brought peace and comfort that everything was going to be okay.

After the nurses prepped me for surgery, we walked down the little hall to the operating room. The anesthesiologist's first job was to give me something to calm my nerves.(I suppose it was quite apparent how nervous I was!)I absolutely hate having the epidural administered....but I sure LOVE the epidural. While the anesthesiologist was giving me the epidural, all the emotions I had been trying to suppress in the name of bravery came trickling out. I was scared. I was given a little bit more of the "something to calm my nerves" and then the doctors started the surgery. Brian was right there holding my hand the entire time. I couldn't have done it without him. Even though he really wanted to be there assisting the doctors in Ryker's delivery, I was so glad that he was there assisting me...and watching Ryker's delivery.

The first incision was made at 5:43 and Ryker came out screaming at 5:58. They weighed and measured him and Brian was able to take a few pictures. Then Brian went with Ryker to be cleaned up and I stayed put while they sewed me back up. This process took about 35 minutes. While they worked the doctors (my doc and his wife who is also an OB), and the anesthesiologist talked about American Idol, an opera singer coming to Weber State soon (the actor in Princess Bride who is out to avenge his father's death...looking for the 6 fingered man....remember him? Yea, apparently he sings and he's quite good), and what they would be having for dinner. It was quite a relaxing conversation.

I then went into post-op for recovery and was able to hold my new little boy for the first time. For all moms out there, you know the feeling. It's absolute joy! So many emotions, so much gratitude, so much instant love it's almost hard to contain it! It is an absolute miracle....and I got to be a part of it.

Ryker came out screaming (a very good sound...Jaxon didn't cry and scared us all to death!) but has been very calm since. So far, he only cries when he's hungry, wet, or needs a good burping.
First photo with mom and dad.
Having his hair washed
Love at first sight.
(Sorry for the red-eye....no time to edit!)

Jaxon L-O-V-E-S loves his little brother!!

Anyone that came to the hospital was instructed by Jaxon to wash with the special soap (hand sanitizer) and to sit down to hold the baby.


Ryker Brian Vincent


More pictures and posts to come...

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh my goodness, so LITTLE. And CUTE!!! Thank you for posting pictures. Wish we were there! Give him a hug for us!

Michelle said...

What a sweetie, he is soooo tiny. Congratulations, he is beautiful. I'm glad you are both doing so well.

Julie said...

SO ADORABLE! wow...that brings back so many memories! You look so good for just having a baby! That little Ryker is such a cutie! I can't get over it..and you...you are amazing to have posted pictures and a post already! you are the Mom of the year!~ :) How are you feeling? Can I do anything!!!! Seriously, I'm going to be down that way for a few things in the next month...so just say and i am there..plus I'd love to see that cute Ryker..and Jaxon..and and I guess brian! ;) (and your house!) Thanks for the pictures! I love them! :)

kristi lou said...

congrats natalie! he sure is a cutie! it's exciting to be in touch with you again!!