Saturday, February 21, 2009

Looking On The Bright Side

Brian knows me...he knows me really well. For Christmas he surprised me with season tickets for Broadway Across America. There are few things I enjoy more than a musical. Singing and dancing is my kind of heaven. Literally.



The first show was Kurt Bestor's Christmas. (It's not a Broadway show, but the ticket office made a mistake with our tickets so we missed the first show. They compensated us with these tickets.) I didn't know what to expect. I didn't think I even knew who Kurt Bestor was at the time. It was one of the funnest concerts I have ever attended. Kurt is entertaining and oh, so talented! It is something that I would definitely love to see again and I would recommend it to anyone.


This last Wednesday Brian and I went to see the second show on our list...Ain't Misbehavin'. It raved of an all-star cast starring Ruben Studdard (remember the American Idol winner?...yeah, most people don't). It's a Broadway show so it should have singing, dancing, and a great story, right? Singing... yes. Dancing...the unfortunate kind. Story...none. During intermission I heard a few people talking about it. "So what do you think?" said one. "Well, it's not what I expected." said another. That seemed to be the consensus. I asked Brian if he wanted to stay. He was there for me so he was in it for the long hall.


When intermission ended we went back in for the second half of the show. It had to get better, right? Immediately we noticed many empty seats around us. Apparently there were quite a few not willing to give the show a 2nd chance. During the second song of the second half one of the cast members lit a cigarette. I knew it had to be a prop. After all, smoking is illegal in public buildings in Utah. Oh, no. It was real. It was absolutely amazing how much smoke (and smell)came from one cigarette. We stayed through the next song and then quickly made our exit. We weren't alone. We walked out with another group of disappointed show-goers. Their conversation put the whole night in perspective: "Baskin Robbins...here we come!" "We had more excitement parking our car!"


Looking on the bright side....I had a fun time going on a date with Brian (thanks Becky for watching the boys) and we are that much closer to (drum roll please....)(Photo taken from Wicked's official site and altered in photoshop...shhh! don't tell)

Eek! I am so excited!!

7 comments:

Spence said...

Natalie,

I came across your blog via facebook. You have a beautiful little family and I'm glad you guys are doing well. All of you Andersons are some of my favorite people.

Josh said...

We are going to Wicked on May 2nd! and we are super excited. It sound like the other was pretty bad if lots of people are walking out.

Jennifer and Jameson said...

Oh that's funny about that one show! I can't believe your husband got that for you and was willing to go to them with you! What a trooper! I'm so jealous you're going to Wicked! You'll have to tell me how it is!

Melisa said...

Wow what an amazing gift, Kevin tried to get tickets for Wicked but they sold out so fast we were out of luck. Thats too bad about the other show but sometimes just getting out of the house makes it alright.

SuZaNNe said...

Baskin Robins always makes everything better! I'm jealous about Wicked, I heard it is amazing!

Julie said...

Lucky! I really really wish I could see this show! I heard it is so AMAZING! You just got spoiled this past Christmas. Spoiled. :)

I hope you guys are doing well! :)

Kandice said...

OHHHHHHH I am so excited for you! I wish I could have gotten tickets! maybe once is enough for me, but you will have a great time! I thought "ok as long as they are as good as the soundtrack, I will be satisfied." I am happy to report that they were MUCH better! Have so much fun!