
Ryker had his 6 month well-check with Dr. Gabe this morning. He's off the charts...but not in a good way. He is 26.4 inches. That puts him in the 50th percentile. (Good thing he's got his daddy's genes!!) He weighs 12 pounds 7 ounces. That doesn't register on the charts...if there were a bracket for the less than 5th percentile, he would be in that group. He's not rolling over or sitting up, though he has great head control and can bare weight on his legs like a champ. The doc didn't seem overly concerned about the physical things mostly because the weight is the worry. Other concerns: Ryker is allergic to milk and has eczema....they could be tied together but it's hard to tell at this point.
So here's the plan:
Mix cereal with soy formula and feed it to him 2-3x a day.
Treat him with OTC reflux meds for the next 3 days to see if his non-eating is a sign of "silent reflux" (I think that's what he called it). If it helps then the doc will prescribe something for him...if not, I don't know.
Switch from Johnson and Johnson baby wash to Dove and use Eucerine cream daily to help his dry skin.
Keep trying to get him to take a bottle. It has to work eventually!
I take him back in 4 weeks to do a weight check. He should gain at least 1 pound. If he doesn't...well, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
On a more positive note: Ryker loves to babble, chews on his feet/hands/shirt/blanket/my hair, he blows raspberries, giggles, and smiles. He still loves to be held and we enjoy holding him. He absolutely adores his big brother (the feeling is mutual) and lights up whenever Jaxon is near him (which is most of the time). If we are driving in the car and Ryker starts to cry, Jaxon will reach over and hold his hand and say things like "It's okay bud. We're almost home." If that doesn't work all we have to do is turn on the Abba CD to #4...Mamma Mia...and he stops crying. Works like a charm!
We love our little Ryker Bean!
5 comments:
He is such a doll! I wouldn't worry too much about the weight thing. I know doctors try to freak you out about it and all but every one of my kids was below the chart lines for height and weight for a couple of years. We were so excited because just after Tyson turned 2, he finally hit 20 pounds. And now he eats me out of house and home. Ryker will get there too. Tyson and Corbin also have excema so if you need any tips, let me know!
Oh man, poor little guy. We used Aveeno moisture wash and lotion for bronson's dry skin, it worked great. Good look, I wish my doctor would tell me to gain a pound a month, HA!
Those dang charts! He's a cutie. Sherrie dealt with the eczema and low weight with Koy. You should talk to her.
Aveeno has worked the best for my boys excema . . . and I think i've tried just about everything!! Good luck with the wieght gaining, and try not to stress to much about it:)
I have a friend that has had the same issues. Her kids were still 16 pounds at year, even the boy, but they have all caught up eventually. I'll be happy to donate a few pounds from Chloe to the Ryker gaining weight foundation :)
Also, my kids LOVE the ABBA cd's. They beg non stop for Super Trooper!
Post a Comment