Hours later we were running errands. Ryker was really upset as we were trying to make the last few stops...but that's not unusual, he doesn't care much for his car seat. The last stop was dinner. Jaxon and I went into Quizno's to get dinner while Brian stayed in the car with Ryker. We had only been in line for a minute or two when Brian came in holding Ryker. Ryker's entire face was covered in hives...he looked so swollen and miserable. I quickly grabbed Jaxon and we headed for the door. I insisted we go straight to Wee Care or the ER....I was a nervous wreck! Again Brian calmed me down and told me that they would just give him Benadryl and tell us to watch him. We stopped at Walmart and dosed him with Benadryl right there in the parking lot. The hives started improving within minutes.
We tried to think through the day to determine if he had eaten anything new, been exposed to anything. We couldn't think of anything.
The next two days were the same. None of the reactions were quite as bad as that first night, but he would still break out in hives. Nothing was consistent. We monitored the food he was eating. Nothing new and it didn't always end in hives. Sometimes he woke up with hives, sometimes he didn't. We moved him into our room to see if it was something in his room that was bothering him. We bought dye and fragrance free detergent and washed all of his clothes, blankets, stuffed animals. Still nothing.
The only change we could figure was that I had made wheat bread on Monday for the first time. Monday was the worst day and it was the day that I had my hands in the wheat dough. Monday and Tuesday I ate some of the bread. We knew that it would take a few days for the wheat to be out of my system. Brian broke open one of the wheat grains and put it on Ryker's back to test our theory. Sure enough, he got a hive right where the wheat had been.
We are going to the doctor tomorrow for Ryker's 9 month well-check visit. Hopefully the doc will give us some answers. I sure hope Ryker doesn't have a wheat allergy (wheat is in everything!) but I suppose it could be worse. I would like to have him go through some allergy testing to see if there are other allergies. I would hate for him to have a serious allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock or something) to something that could have been prevented.
This was taken on Wednesday. It was hard to get a good picture, but you can kind of see the hives on his cheek, arm, and neck.
3 comments:
That's pretty scary! Good luck at the doctor, I hope you're able to get this figured out with minimal discomfort to Ryker.
Poor little guy! I hate stuff like that. BTW, your blog background is darling!
It was a guessing game for Wyatt but when we had him tested they told us things he might be allergic to. Have you tried Dreft or a non scented laundry detergent? That's what we have to use. Also we loved the explination that doctor Jones gave us. I'd highly recommend him!!
Post a Comment