Thursday, June 7, 2007

Coming Home

Home: A home is a place where a person or family lives, perhaps spends much of their time, or where a person is comfortable being.

Within the walls of this "home" I was taught as a child how to multiply, divide, do science fair projects, dissect owl pellets, the 50 nifty United States, how to think, discover, and study. Years after my elementary experience I again entered these walls to learn how be an effective teacher, to light the fire in young minds, to teach valuable life lessons. I was taught how to teach at the feet of many great teachers.

Today I came home. I miss my kids, I really do. It pulls at my heartstrings to be surrounded by these kids that I spent so much of my time teaching, loving, shaping, and nurturing. I saw my class in the hall and was bombarded with hugs and smiles! "Mrs. Vincent!" they shouted. "We miss you!" Then I saw their new teacher, a very competent, kind teacher and felt a pang of sadness. My name is no longer on the door. When asked who their teacher is they would say Mrs. Hansen....not Mrs. Vincent. I may not be their teacher now, but that doesn't mean I still don't worry about them and love them and miss them.



No comments: