
Six years ago, Brian and I received a beautiful "silk" ivy as a wedding gift. In our first apartment it was placed on a table in the corner of our living room just below a window. It was always in view, but went untouched because, after all, what would this ivy need from us, it was fake? Four months after we were married a friend of mine and her younger sister came over to visit. As my friend and I sat talking on the couch, her younger sister, Heather, was looking at pictures on the table where the ivy rested. "Are you going to water your plant?", Heather asked. "It doesn't need water. It's not real," I replied. Heather crunched a perfectly green, healthy-looking leaf and said "No. It's real alright and it's dead."
While attending college, I had an acquaintance tell me that I didn't know how tough life was because I had never had to struggle with anything. "You don't understand what it's like," she said. "You've never made any mistakes." By nature I was a very private person. I didn't share things from my personal life. I would much rather listen to others than share my own struggles. I led others to believe that my life was perfect by not indulging them with my flaws. But deep down there was a part of me that wished I was brave enough to share my fears with my friends.
The hymn "Lord, I Would Follow Thee" has always been a favorite of mine, especially the second and third verses:
Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see.
Who am I to judge another? Lord, I would follow thee.
I would be my brother's keeper; I would learn the healers art
To the wounded and the weary I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother's keeper - Lord, I would follow thee.
While talking to my friend the other day I was reminded of how easy it can be to assume that someone leads the "perfect life". As if there is anyone here that is exempt from trials and daily struggles! There are so many seemingly perfect Ivy's and people out there that are in need of something. "In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see." It is my personal belief that those who present themselves as needing nothing are the very ones that might just need a little something from me.
1 comment:
OK, so I know a few of your flaws, and I still think that you are as close to perfect as anyone that I know!!!
Post a Comment