Here is the very plain, and probably boring, story of her birth.
We got checked in to the hospital at 8 in the morning. I was considered a high-risk delivery because of the VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) and the cerclage. Since that was the case my nurse and doctor were there solely for me. I didn't have to share them with any other patients! I was also the only induction that day. All the others had been canceled because there were so many babies (12 total by the end of the day), they wouldn't send us home since ours was a medical induction.
My doctor came in around 8:45 and removed the cerclage. I had heard so many terrifying stories about this and was prepared for serious pain. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! Seriously, no pain!! As soon as my stitch was removed I was dilated to 3cm. My doc checked me again 30 minutes later and I was dilated to 5 cm.
The epidural was ordered (even if I wanted to go natural...which I didn't...because of the situation it wasn't an option) and lucky for us, the amazing Rock was on epidural duty that day. I had heard he was the best and he didn't disappoint. I had control of my legs the entire time and I could walk very shortly after delivery. The only downside to the epidural was the itchy sensation I had and how tired it made me.
I was given a lot of IV fluid and some pitocin to keep things moving. Both of these fluids, along with 4 months of being off my feet, is what I blame my insanely swollen feet and ankles on. For days after delivery I suffered from puffy appendages.
It took 4 contractions....2 if I had had more strength, and 3 if we all didn't stop for a good laugh. Laughter is definitely good medicine, but it doesn't help birth a baby :)
In the above picture, Brian is getting ready to cut the umbilical cord. Jaxon's cord had to be cut before he was delivered (it was wrapped around his neck) and Ryker was a c-section, so Brian didn't get the chance with either one. He looks pretty excited, don't you think?
I shouldn't post this picture mostly because it's not the most flattering (at all!) of either me or my doc, but he's been a big part of our lives. I don't know many docs that make phone calls to their patients to check up on them. He has been such a great provider for us. I remember when we had Jaxon I asked him if he wanted to move in with us. I was a little bit serious, too. He's been such an amazing support over the last 7 years and helped deliver our 3 beautiful children. Besides all that, he took an entire day to be with just me, Brian, and our baby. Not many would do that.
I can't say enough how grateful I am for modern medicine. Without it I don't think we would have any of our children. Each of our kids has struggled getting here. Each of them have needed something that the pioneers certainly didn't have. Some women are built for having babies...I'm not one of them.
She's here and we're so very happy!
6 comments:
Once again you have me in tears. I am so happy for you guys, congratulations.
Oh Nat, she's so beautiful. I love that hair, and I'm so glad she got here safe and sound.
She is beautiful!! Congrats!
You did it Natalie! Way to go....she is so sweet! And I cannot believe that hair....definitely she got it from you! So glad you and Taylee are doing well :)
How cute!! I am so glad you guys are doing well. Can't wait to see you guys in a month!! Love ya!
She's finally here! Such an adorable baby and beautiful name. Congrats!
Post a Comment