Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Water Woes


Today the water main broke in front of our school. We were completely without running water for the majority of the day (about 10:45 to 3:10). No drinking fountains, no way to wash hands, no toilets! The school district's solution? Bring in port-a-potties, bottled water, and hand sanitizer! It took an hour and a half before we saw any the above mentioned supplies. As nice as they were to let us continue on with school, it just wasn't working. They brought in 6 port-a-potties...approximately one per grade. Fourth grade alone has 140 kids on track right now. Not to mention all the faculty and staff. Imagine the longest line for a bathroom you've ever seen and DOUBLE it! To make matters worse, they didn't bring enough water. My class received 12 8oz. bottles of water....for 23 kids! Luckily, Wal-Mart came to our rescue and kindly donated water to our school.


I've tried to put a positive spin on all of this. This is what I came up with:


  1. An emergency evacuation would have still taken all day (every child has to be released to a parent or other close family member...contacting them can be a nightmare at times).

  2. We don't have to make up a day of school later on in the year.

  3. For once I am glad Wal-Mart is the super-giant that it is. They are also generous in their own way.

  4. My mom lives close enough to my school that I could run to her house and use her bathroom before my kids finished P.E. (Happy I didn't have to use the port-a-potty!!)

1 comment:

r_turner47@hotmail.com said...

Wow, lots of excitement to welcome you back to school! By the way, thanks for the b-day present! Kyle loved it.