Monday, August 27, 2007

Lagoon...It's What Fun Is!

Brian and I used our BounceBack passes at Lagoon on Friday. Upfront I had committed myself to ride "Wicked", even though deep down I really didn't want to do it.

This is how Lagoon describes the ride:
"Riders will be launched to the top of the 110 ft. tower at speeds up to 18.5 meters per second. This element is especially unique as most roller coasters slowly lift riders to the top of the first hill using a chain mechanism. Wicked riders will be propelled by means of a linear synchronous motor (LSM) drive system, essentially rocketing riders up and over the top of the first hill. The 8-rider vehicles travel individually and achieve speeds up to 55 mph, passing though steep valleys, high banked turns, half-pipe, heart-roll inversion and more. Riders will be seated in two rows of four, facing forward, with the back row seats elevated above the front row. The lap/leg restraints will provide an exhilarating upper body freedom for rides." Sound fun?

We went to Wicked first so I could hurry and get it out of the way. As we stood in line I tried not to watch the ride. Each time I saw a car shoot straight up, plunge straight down, and spin around the track at breakneck speeds I felt myself get more and more terrified. Brian had the complete opposite reaction. He becomes more and more excited as he watches the cars on the track. He continually compared it to the closest simulation to an F-16 that he could think of, barrel rolls and all. This description did not help in the least bit. We wound through the turn-stiles, climbed the stairs, and eventually took our place as the next riders. All the while I was becoming more and more upset with Brian. Why? Good question. I wasn't actually upset with him, although you wouldn't have believed me if you were there, I was, in fact, PETRIFIED!

It was our turn. My heart was slowly coming to a stop. We loaded into the car...front row has the best view...what was I thinking ever agreeing to ride this idiotic death ride? I pushed the safety restraint against my lap. I pushed it down again. And again. And again. Surely it could come a little closer and fit a little tighter. The car started to move. Oh, no! I stopped breathing. I was stuck. There was no way getting out of this. HOLD ON! We shot out of the tunnel....my eyes instantly shut....begin the launch. I felt a little braver. I opened my eyes in time to see us peak and go over the edge..."Oh, Crap!", I yelled as we plunged downward. The car continued to twist and turn and roll and dive and eventually came to a stop. Holy Schnikies! I couldn't believe that I was smiling as we exited the car. In fact, we rode it again that night and would have gone one more time but the line was a least an hour wait.

The best part of the ride? The way my hair flew straight out behind me, I wish I could have seen how cool it looked. It sure felt like it looked cool.

Other tidbits from our night at Lagoon:

  • Brian finally was able to ride the Sky Coaster. "From a static point approximately 6 feet above the ground, the flyers are pulled aloft by a launch cable to nearly the top of the launch tower. At this point the flyers are approximately 143 feet above the ground with the flight cables taut and the flight is ready to begin. Upon being given the signal, the flyers pull the rip cord, releasing them from the launch cable and rapidly swing towards the ground at speeds reaching up to 80 mph. The overall feeling is similar to that of swooping along the ground in a hang glider, or that of skydiving." (Sorry, no photos. We forgot the camera.) Even though he wanted me to ride with him, it turned out better for him that he rode alone. From the experienced workers we learned that you don't get a true feeling for the free-fall/flying when you do it tandem. You're welcome, dear. I did it for you!
  • The Spider is really fun as well. Mostly because you are turned around most of the time and you have no idea when you are going to drop or turn.
  • The ROCKET BLAST OFF: "accelerates guests from ground level to 200 feet straight up in less than 3 seconds. The initial powered blast creates a force on the rider of 4.5 G and upon reaching the top position, guests are blasted downward with a 2 G-force." This kind of force has now been proven to break a cell phone...mine! The pressure broke my LCD screen. Bug! The phone is only 10 months old. I guess the good news is I'll be getting a new phone. Bad news is it won't be free. Of all the the things the warranty covers, the LCD screen is not one of them.

Lagoon....I guess it really is what FUN is! Who knew?

1 comment:

Melisa said...

Wow you really did learn something in Mr. Bradshaws class your a great writer. From your description I could picture your face, your hair flowing bedhind you and I even heard you scream OH! CRAP! It sounds like alot of fun. We need to do a date night together sometime. -Melisa