Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ideas Worth Sharing

A good idea is worth sharing, don't you think? Especially when it makes life easier. It is rare that I ever have good ideas of my own. Usually I just steal ideas from the rest of you.

Idea #1:Freezer Pancakes

Because of Ryker's different food allergies I have to make his pancakes from scratch. Many might ask why we all don't eat his pancakes instead of making two different kinds. I'm sure they taste great (I'm too chicken to try them!) but the bottom line is money. Soy milk is stinking expensive!

So here's what I do. About every other week I make a batch of pancakes for Ryker and one for Jaxon. I cook them up. Serve them what they will eat (usually about 2 each) and the rest I put in individually labeled freezer bags. Breakfast is quick and easy whether they want pancakes or cereal. I simply pull out their bags from the freezer and throw the pancakes in the toaster and toast em up!

Idea #2:Themed Menu
I like to cook. (Really, Brian, I do!) I just have a hard time answering the question "What's for dinner?" I also like to make weekly menus. I've found when I have a menu I spend a whole lot less at the grocery store and it makes fixing dinner a whole lot easier. Still, when it came time to write up the weekly menu I found myself in the same old rut.

The idea of a themed menu came from Brian eating tacos on Tuesday. Growing up every Tuesday was tacos. I personally can't eat tacos every week. It was Taco Tuesday that got me thinking about my family's eating preferences and was the motivation behind our weekly menu.

Here is our weekly menu with a few examples of things we've included:

Mexican Monday: Enchiladas, Taco Salad, Layered Burritos, Navajo Tacos (not really mexican but it fits our theme)

Crockpot Tuesday: Stew, Ranch Chicken, Italian Chicken, (usually something chicken!)

Sandwich Wednesday: French Dip, Hamburgers, Chicken Caesar Salad Roll-ups, Chicken Sandwiches, Subs, etc.

Left-over Thursday: this goes without saying...anything leftover from the week

Pizza Friday: pizza, pizza rolls, calzones, etc. Every other week we order pizza and on the off week we make our own pizza-type creations.

Breakfast/Misc. Saturday: We aren't home a lot on Saturday evenings (especially during football season!) but if we are we make waffles, omelets, french toast, pancakes or try another recipe I've been wanting to try.

Misc Sundays: The regular Sunday roast and potatoes or a new recipe like Sante Fe Chicken (delicious!), Chicken Pot Pie, or one of our favorites...fast Sunday Scones! We eat with family a couple times a month...and those are the best meals ever!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

that seems simple enough - what is my problem?