I will be the first to admit that I let Jaxon watch too much TV. Way too much. Fixing the TV problem is near the top of my "How To Be a Better Mom" list, right between eating more vegetables and being more patient. I do, however, have to give credit to PBS and Word Girl for Jaxon's blooming vocabulary. It is simply amazing to me the words he has learned from that cartoon. Today, for example, while eating lunch Jaxon turned to me and said: "What does considerate mean?" After I explained it he said "Oh, like when Martha wipes her paws after digging in the mud that's being considerate?" The rest of the lunch conversation continued to revolved around his new word. As he carried his plate and cup to the sink he stopped and put them both on the counter. "If I just leave all my stuff out of the sink then I'm being inconsiderate, huh mom?" Right again.
Here is a sampling of other things Jaxon has said to me over the past couple of weeks:
"Mom, your flowers are very fragrant. Fragrant means it smells good. Not Ryker's diaper though. That is a stench!"
"Wyatt is my favorite sidekick!"
"It's sweltering today. Do you know what sweltering means, mom? It means it's really, really hot!" Said while wiping his brow and laying his head on the table. No drama there!
"My favorite words are repentance and exceptional!"
A good example of the not-so-good things he's picked up from who-knows-where:
"What the he** are they doing out there?!?" Yeah, that didn't come from Word Girl. We asked him where he heard it and he was quick to blame Uncle Brady. Shame, shame Uncle Brady. We thought the mission would teach you to use nice words!
Besides being educational for Jaxon I find Word Girl to be quite entertaining. In fact, it is my favorite cartoon. When you've got characters like Captain Huggy Face, Lady Redundant Woman, Dr. Two Brains, Granny May, and Chuck the Evil Sandwich Making Guy what's not to love?
Word up, it's Word Girl! Word UP!!!
5 comments:
It doesn't get any better than Chuck the Evil Sandwiching Making Guy. I think horseradish was his condiment/weapon of choice today. We love that show at our house!
Unfortunately, my kids' vocabulary doesn't seem to be expanding :)
I've never heard of that show. I'm going to have to check it out and set the DVR to record some episodes for Allie.
I too am guilty of letting Allie watch too much TV, but I see what she learns from it and I really don't think it's bad for kids to watch. (Unless that's ALL they do.)
And I definitely don't believe that letting kids watch TV leads to ADD/ADHD.
I love the shows on PBS. Word World is great too...love that one.
That is so cute Jaxon is a wiz. I haven't watched Word Girl yet but if you're ever up for an episode of Bob the Builder or Curios George, come on over.
The Butcher's "roasts of fury" are my personal favorite. Grace used "sweltering" in our air-conditionless van... cracked me up! When the Captain Huggy Face dance comes on, Grace yells for me, and we all have to do it together. LOVE IT!!
Post a Comment